Monday, July 11, 2011

Debbie Harry: I thought Stein was gay

Debbie Harry thought her musical partner Chris Stein was gay when she first met him.
Singer Debbie and guitarist Chris famously founded rock band Blondie together in the 70s, and went on to become lovers. The pair split romantically in the 90s, although continued to have a good working relationship and close friendship.
Debbie, who has never married, has recalled the intense attraction she first felt for Chris, who is now married to actress Barbara Sicuranza, with whom he has two children.
“He was magnetic,” says Debbie. “I didn’t know if I could take him seriously and I thought there was a good chance he was gay because he was wearing eye make-up and wore lots of jewellery.
“I was trying to fulfil my dream of being in a band and working in a trio. He came along played bass and we got to know each other.”
Debbie also reflected on the fact that she’s never had offspring. She admits that when she and Chris were together life was too hectic to think about starting a family.
“It was never possible for me because we were working at such a pace,” she told British newspaper The Daily Mirror. “I recommend everybody takes vacations!”
The star also discussed her role as a feminist icon. She believes she helped make the cause more attractive by refusing to act like a victim.
“Yeah, in a small way,” she replied, when asked if she made feminism sexy.
“Lyrically, I wasn’t interested in taking the position of the underdog.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment